Tuesday, March 4, 2008

On Blowing a Fuse

I blew three fuses in the past couple of weeks and I have learned a couple of things about them, or should I say… lessons from them.

I blew a fuse in my house. I should have known it would happen because I had done it before, but I forgot. I had the heater going at the same time as the hair dryer. I lost the electricity in the back part of my house and had to borrow the fuse from the garage to finish getting ready for work then put it back when I left so I could close the garage door.

I blew a fuse with a friend. I didn’t really see it coming, but the wrong thing happened at the wrong time and I reacted in a way that was, like the fuse in my house, bothersome.

I also blew a fuse in my car. This was a new experience and one that I was surprised about. It turns out that you shouldn’t put fingernail files to the light bulb of the clock while the car is running. I was unable to put my car into gear and almost had to leave it parked going the wrong way in front of my house.

Lessons learned

It only takes a little too much to blow a fuse and when you do it can halt activity. Fortunately fuses are not hard to fix. The important thing is to know quickly how to fix the problem and then remember always how to not overload so that it doesn’t happen again.

4 comments:

Christalina said...

I promise I will never again ask you to show me how to fix anything car related. :)

Chantalita said...

That is a great analogy that is strangely applicable to my life. I had "fuse" problems in both of the dimensions you mentioned when I lived in Cannes.

Our fuse regularly overloaded. When that happened my companion would call over the elders to fix it while we lived without electricity. I didn't understand why we couldn't do it ourselves so I had them teach me how to do it. It went out A LOT, so I got plenty of fuse experience.

On a different plane of existence, my companion was by far the hardest person I've EVER lived with. The limits of my patience were tested as they never had been before. One day I decided with determination that I would not blow my fuse with her that day, as I often did. It was such a hard day. But at the end of the day, for the first time, I could see that she was just not built to be as emotionally resilient as most of the rest of us. I felt such compassion and understanding for her. My only regret was that I hadn't been more patient.

And to synthesize the two, the problem with our fuses was in the wiring. The wires were too thin for the electrical currents coursing through them. With thicker wires they were able to last longer before blowing. I guess with my companion, I needed an analogous thicker wire of charity. I sincerely wish I'd had a greater capacity for patience.

Anonymous said...

So true, so true. (Is this another one of your poems?)
You just gave me 2 more ideas for new years resolutions. Poetry and rewireing my fuses.
Can you sing this 10 times fast.
"At Gary's electric we rewire homes for you"

Crutches said...

Just a thought. Blowing a fuse isn't actually a bad thing. A fuse blows in order to protect other electrical equipment and people. It may be a pain (nuisance), but imagine the pain if the fuse doesn't blow and the person gets electrocuted or the house burns down. Carrying the thought over to the human interaction metaphor, it isn't always good to keep problems inside without letting the little fuses blow. If we aren't careful we may burn down the whole system.