In October of 2011
President Eyring gave a talk about bearing witness. In the talk he shared an experience
where he was to speak at a graduation at a university. As the date grew near he
received a call from the woman who had asked him to speak, she had become
concerned because she had learned that Elder Eyring’s responsibility as an
apostle was to bear witness of Jesus Christ, she informed him he could not do
that in his speech. As the time grew nearer he was more and more troubled over
the situation then he says “In a miracle like the
Red Sea parting, I found a news article. That university had been honored for
doing what the Church has learned to do in our humanitarian efforts across the
world. And so in my talk I described what we and they had done to lift people
in great need. I said that I knew that Jesus Christ was the source of the
blessings that had come into the lives of those we and they had served.”
I know there have been many arguments over
the phrase Happy Holidays; I confess I love to hear “merry Christmas” but last
year as I thought about the general feelings at this time of the year. I love
the whole build up, even starting with Halloween then Thanksgiving and all the excitement
as people put up lights, make family plans, get excited about shopping…I just
love the whole feel of it. There really is a spirit of Christmas that is in
everyone. So as I pondered this last year I decided that the excitement everyone
feels, whether believers in Christmas or some other holiday that generates
excitement and love is because of the light of Christ that is in everyone, even
if they don’t know it.
So if you say Happy Holiday or Season’s Greetings
or anything other than Merry Christmas to me I will be glad in my heart because
to me that means the light of Christ is in you whether you say you celebrate Christmas
or not.
1 comment:
I know what you mean. At Christmas I like to hear Merry Christmas and know that's the true meaning of the Holiday, but like you said Halloween and Thanksgiving can have that excitement and feeling as well and they are not Christmas, so I'd take Happy Holidays.
Post a Comment