Despite my desire for them to work hard I recognize and accept that most of them don't want to be there and likely don't like Spanish. I am okay with that, I had to take many classes over the years that I didn't want to take or that I didn't enjoy. I am never offended when I hear a student say "no offense but I hate Spanish". I am, however, appalled when I hear a student ask "can we have a free day?"
Yes they ask this from time to time; and they mean it, sometimes argue it as if they had a valid case in which I should just sit down and let them do nothing.
Yes they ask this from time to time; and they mean it, sometimes argue it as if they had a valid case in which I should just sit down and let them do nothing.
The problem is the more they argue the more I want to give it to them because the more they argue the more I realize they honestly don't care. They don't care about the class, they don't care about their grade, they don't care if they learn to work hard, they just don't care. Now I realize that not all of my students do this but enough of them do that I get discouraged.
Lets consider for a moment what would happen if I decided to take a free day.
1) If I took a free day I would probably want another one (If I choose to take another one go to 2A, if not go to 2B)
2A) Then I would want another one (If I choose to take another one go to 3, if not go to 2B)
3) Again, I would want another one (If I choose to take another one go to 4, if not I'd go to 2B)
4) I would continue downward until eventually loosing my job, have to decide if I liked being lazy enough to continue downward until loosing my house, loosing all motivation, deciding I was worthless and give up or go live at my parents, get a job at some retail place that paid enough to sustain my life while I...see 2B.
2B) Suck it up, work hard, learn to love it or grow from it and keep it up until I can move on to something else.
Moral of the story is, if you need a free day suck it up, work hard, learn to love it or grow from it and keep it up until you can move on to something else. Or at the very least until you hit vacation. It will be that much more rewarding if you do.
11 comments:
I like your attitude. BTW, Happy National Teacher Appreciation Week!
Did you explain this to your students, or try to explain I should say.
That's too funny. I'll have to remember that when I'm wanting to run away. :)
Btw, THANK YOU for the great thank you cards. You R.O.C.K.!!!!
cool post for all of life's "moments"
good thinking....
Thanks. This is pretty good advice. I consider myself fully chastised. :) I will start by sucking it up and going to bed right now in anticipation of sucking it up and working a long day tomorrow.
Tell them in real life there are no free days. Tell them they can have a free day when they're dead.
Cruches
How did that work for you?
Adam
I don't know about that. I use to think "enter into His rest" meant we get a break but my mom said that isn't what it means at all (not that I remember what she said it did mean, I was to overwhelmed about thinking there would be no break).
I was about to say we all need a free day sometimes when you got to the vacation part. In my job however there isn't vacation. So sometimes I go shopeing with Kirsten as a "free day".
MAK
I imagine you're right that you don't get a free day, to that I say the rest of us should follow the example and enjoy the journey.
MAK
I'm not sure how "free" shopping is.
Post a Comment