Ok, so I know that in today's world we are enveloped by technology and the various forms of communication that come with it. I accept and participate in many. The thing that I didn't realize is that the old ways of letter writing have been or are being lost. I am not saying I am oblivious to the fact that snail mail is slowly becoming less and less but it never occurred to me that it is all but gone in the upcoming generation.
Today I assigned a "pen pal" letter writing project. The students were to write a letter describing what they do in school. When most students had finished the drafts I instructed them to take a piece of plain paper and some colored pencils to make some stationary for their final copy. I could hardly believe it when a student asked "whats stationary?"
As if that weren't bad enough I had to remind one student they needed a signature on their letter. To this someone responded "whats a signature".

4 comments:
whats a pen pal?
I totally believe it. It makes me tear up a bit, but I believe it.
I got the nicest letter in the mail for my birthday. Nothing is like getting a card by snail mail!!!
I am sorry you can't say the letter was from me, I am a little behind on my birthday cards.
Post a Comment