I don't know if I can write this to make it interesting, but it is a bit of what I have been going through the last week so I will make an attempt. The final conversation is supposed to be the funny part (or at the very least an excuse to write an update) if you make it through my whole lengthy introductions.
There are two things to keep in mind for this story.
#1 A week ago unbeknownst to me I was exposed to some kind of poisonous plant that began to cause a terrible reaction beginning Friday morning and continuing well into Monday afternoon. It wasn't until Saturday afternoon that I realized it was becoming quite severe and when I woke up Sunday morning with one eye bulging out of my head, until I could shower and get the swelling down, I even considered skipping church. At this point the rash was spreading faster than the pain and I realized it was only my vanity tempting me to skip church so I sucked up the possible humiliation and went anyway. By the time I left church I abandoned all Sabbath day holy attempts and made my way to the nearest Walgreen's Health clinic only to be told it was lunch time and to return in a few hours. Now I had to not only patronize Sabbath breaking stores once but twice and only to be rejected when it came to my insurance. Deciding that Monday was not so far away I decided to fore go the $75-150 out of pocket and wait to see my own doctor the next day. I called in sick to work, which was strange to me because I wasn't really sick rather in severe discomfort on my fore-arms and had a creeping redness from my neck to my face.
Long story only slightly shorter, he put me on a nice high dose of medication which may keep me wired and suggested Benadryl that may make me drowsy...needless to say I have been wired and tired all at once, a state I will not attempt to explain. (You might get a sense of it if you saw the state of my house right now, it is very uncharacteristically messy, and not in a small way). So, I took a day off work and have been back two. I have had my hair in a pony tale been wearing glasses to avoid any discomfort to my neck and eyes and as a courtesy to my students and others around me I have been wearing long sleeves despite the summer heat because the rash is quite disgusting...I will not post pictures but I did take some...they are just too gross. So that is the end of number one point... I know, finally.
#2 I have almost all freshmen this year. Normally this would be a bad thing as I have always preferred sophomores and because I have heard particularly bad things about this class. I have been pleasantly surprised, however, at how nice they are. Or maybe I have just been given the best of the class as an answer to many fervent prayers to do something to keep me in this profession for more than another year...but this is beside the point.
They like to ask questions about their surroundings and about their new teachers. The following conversation is by no means exact words but it does follow the general outline of what was said.
Student 1: "Does Mr. ABC have tattoos?"
Student 2: "Why would you ask that"
Me, the teacher: "That is an interesting question, now that you mention it I have never seen Mr. ABC in anything but long sleeves"
Student 2: "Well I have and he doesn't have any"
Student 1: "You have seen Mr. ABC in short sleeves?"
Teacher: "Well even if he did always wear long sleeves it doesn't mean he has tattoos, it might just be an attempt to cover up some grotesque rash."
Student 3: "EWE!"
13 comments:
Haha, I laughed out loud. Well put together.
Laura I think that is halerius at the begining and the end. And would like to see the pictures.
Oh, good grief, Laura! That sounds absolutely miserable. I hope it goes away soon!
I wouldn't mind pictures, but I'm the only one at work who doesn't mind watching House during lunch.
What was the poison? Where did you run into it?
Chantalita, thanks, I do try to practice writing skills on my blog, poor as the attempts may be it is fun for me.
MAK and KmillS, I don't think I will put the pictures up because one the don't do the horriblness of it all justice and two because despite that fact they are still gross, but if you really want I can e-mail them to you.
Bethany thanks, lets just say that Prednizone is my new best friend, at least for the next couple of weeks, it is REALLY helping.
KmillS, it is probably poison ivy, but I haven't bothered to investigate too much because it could just as easily be poison oak. In the end it makes no difference the end result is the same.
I'm so sorry. I hope it clears up soon. Prednizone has been my friend several times in the past. 'Glad you can laugh about it. :)
This post seemed a bit scater brained, what were you on when you wrote this?
Reminds me of a joke. Ask Bryson to tell you if you don't know the one I mean. A horse walks into a bar...
I think you know the joke you mean, but I thought it was a bear.
No fun! Jeff was helping clean up some poison ivy last year because he "doesn't react", Only this plant about 3 inches thick and he was miserable for days. Luckily it was a light reaction but he was a big baby about it. I can only imagine what it would be like for a full blown reaction! Glad you are getting better.
Cari, when it comes to poison ivy I allow anybody to be a big baby. :)
I read it!
Adam, I wasn't going to publish your comment because I don't think it was very sincere but I guess I am desperate for numbers so I posted it and added another myself.
Post a Comment