Tuesday, November 23, 2010

A Quick Thanksgiving Day Survey

I have heard many people tell stories over the years about showing up at someones Thanksgiving and being totally under dressed. It seems as though some people out there dress up for the festivities (and I don't mean like Pilgrims) yet I have still to meet anyone who actually does. I am curious, how does your family dress for Thanksgiving? Totally casual like pajamas? Jeans? Nice casual? Dress up (or should I say dressy)? Any funny or embarrassing stories?

Just curious.

9 comments:

Chantal said...

We kind of dress New Englandy in a way I guess. We dress nicely - mom is usually in a dress, dad in a dress shirt and pants, but no tie, grandpa will be about the same, sometimes with a tie. Grandma will have nice slacks, a blouse, jewelry, often her classic Nantucket-style basket/purse. A kid or two will have jeans on, and that is fine too, but generally no one wears tee shirts. We don't have dress standards or anything, that is just what we end up wearing.

Then we talk politics all night.

I haven't spent a Thanksgiving home in 12 years, but I have no embarrasing stories of being over or underdressed, but I could just be oblivious :)

Hokie said...

Chantal, I could have sworn you were one who told me you arrived missed dressed once, but maybe I have mis-remembered.

Mary said...

We all dress in whatever we have. My grandparents are more dressy, parents generation slightly more casual and then when we get to my generation anything goes...and it also depends on the year or where we are having Thanksgiving.

When I was growing up we had all of our Thanksgivings at Kennedy High School with my grandma's extended family and people showed up in anything...which made sense since most everyone ended up playing volleyball or playing in the gym...

Jamison Family said...

I like to dress nice - I'm not sure why though! I'm always the one out of place :)

Unknown said...

We only did a decent Thanksgiving dinner at my Grandma's, and that stopped when not long after my Grandpa got Parkinson's. I don't remember if we dressed up or not. At our house, jeans are totally okay. Since a couple of people have mentioned dressing nice for the meal, maybe we'll try no t-shirts this year. :)

MAK said...

I live in Idaho were people ware there farming clothes to wedding reseptions. What do you think.

But honistly it depends. If I'm with imediut family I'm cashual. Maybe even to cashual. But if its the in'laws or friends I do dressy/cashual. Meaning Jeans and a nice shirt.

Elizabeth said...

Jeans it is. Sometimes my father in law will just wear the work jeans he had on while fixing a house earlier in the day. Back home Christmas is kind of like Thanksgiving here. We do dress up- casual dressy.

Mary said...

You probably know since you've seen me on Thanksgiving before. It has been a while though so let me remind you. If it's with the in-laws I dress up, jeans and a shirt. If it's our family, the holy Turkey shirt. (So what did you decide to ware?)

MAK said...

I want to know what you desided to ware also!