I got to go to girls’ camp last week and a lot of people have asked me how it was. So here I share with you, though it may be boring because I am sharing the lessons learned more than the activities we did. In the end the whole experience is another good news moment from me.
I was very apprehensive because my last girls camp experience was shall we say less than good? Fortunately the stake camp director and all the people involved in planning did a wonderful job. The theme was Dr. Seuss “Oh the Places You'l Go” and it was so well organized. After my first meeting I realized it was going to be a very different experience from the last and it proved to be right.
Good news points about girls’ camp.
-learning the basics: I learned from the last time I served with the Young Women that when you work with them you learn the basics meaning you are reminded of who you are, that you have a purpose and are not alone. Most importantly I was reminded at camp to believe in these things.
-Because of my job I spend most of my time with this age group and it can be very scary seeing the world they live in. I worry for them and for those that are taught what is right fighting against what they are only ignorant to. I have learned that the Young Women in the church do know who they are and most of them are not afraid to stand up against it. It gives me hope.
-The weather was so good to us. It rained a couple of nights but by the time I got up and moving there was little sign of rain (with the exception of the big storm on Saturday morning which served as a blessing to our ward because the girls got up and packed in record time and we missed the mud and wet that most people got). But as I was saying the days were not too hot, in fact it was near perfect in my opinion.
-I got to take a break from my intense workouts at the gym. Don’t worry; I did canoe around the lake a few times. Walked a lot and went on the 5+ mile hike which I really rather enjoyed. And despite eating a lot of white bread at meals and my fair share of GORP, (good old raisins and peanuts with a few other yummies in there) I still managed to pass on a lot of generic snack cakes they tried to feed us for desserts.
-It was a great distraction to me. I have been going through a little bit of a hard time recently, as some of my readers know, and camp was a blessing because I was able to let go of my worries and be reminded of who I am and that the Lord has a plan for me. I got to laugh again and be happy.
Dr. Seuss got it right in his book that we would have choices to make and that sometimes we would have hang ups and lurches and unpleasant bumps that put us in a slump, sometimes we will be in a lonely place that will scare you but you will go on, you will hike on and you will succeed, yes indeed!
5 comments:
Glad you had such a good time!
That is good news, I'm going to go read some Dr. Suess and see if I get some inspiration and motivation to do something.
Love Dr. Seuss! I can't think of a time he ever got it wrong. What happened to the moose book? Sounds like you had a great time! You lucky girl.
Oh the Places You'll Go was the whole camp theme. The moose book was for our ward and I do think Dr. Seuss went a little wrong on that one, but we made the best of it. And isn't that just what life is all about?
Laura, I enjoy reading your blog!
Post a Comment