Tuesday, January 27, 2009

In A Rut

I always imagined the phrase "in a rut" as going along the same tracks, the wagon wheels going along the old ruts without change, not getting out of the same routine, same old same old, hum drum, I am ready for a change, nothing ever happens, I can't get past where I am at kind of phrase. I can't deny that I have felt this way more than once. Sometimes it is depressing, discouraging or just plain old boring.



One day I was in Sunday school when the teacher used the phrase "in a rut" and described the giant walls and inability to get out. Then it occurred to me that being in a rut might be a bigger problem than I once imagined.

I picture myself in miniature (wouldn't that be nice) inside some tracks left by a wagon wheel or something. (Maybe it would be easier to picture an ant in a track, it is slightly more realistic to think about). I look up at the sides and think how do I get out of this. Suddenly being in a rut seems like a big challenge.


So when it comes down to it would I rather be scaling walls or jumping the track to get myself going in a different direction? I suppose it would be easier to get out of a rut if it were a matter of jumping the track but the view would probably be the same once I did. On the other hand if I had to climb out of that rut to where I were on new ground then I would imagine that the view might be drastically different.



The truth is that each scenario makes us stronger for our current needs. When I began this post over a month ago I was simply pondering the saying "in a rut". Now I have come to a reminder of the nature of life's challenges. In my studies this morning I read an Ensign article called "Putting My Hand in the Lord's". The author quoted Elder B. H. Roberts of the Seventy "those who have to contend with difficulties, brave dangers, endure disappointments, struggle with sorrows, eat the bread of adversity and drink the water of affliction, develop a moral and spiritual strength, together with a purity of life and character, unknown to the heirs of ease, and wealth and pleasure."


In the end it doesn't matter how the saying was meant. The truth of the matter is there are all sorts of challenges. Some of them require minor changes such as overcoming a speed bump and or changing directions and some of them require exercise and strengthening so that we can have the power to get out and move forward. Either way I take comfort in knowing that I will be given the right challenges at the right times according to my needs if I allow the Lord to direct me as He knows best. And I am thankful for it.

13 comments:

Tina said...

'Good stuff, Laura. I think your post is totally inspired! Sometimes I feel like I'm stuck in a Grand Canyon sized rut...but it's all about perspective. The challenges we face in the rut give us the strength to get out someday. The Lord compensates us as we go, even if that is hard to see while we are stuck in our ruts. :)

MAK said...

Fun pictures were did you take them?

Hokie said...

The first two I found online. The others I took of the girls not far from their house. It worked out perfect that there was that little "rut" right there.

Snow Whiteley said...

Great post and amazing pics. You are awesome!

dontnoy said...

cute kids! Really gets you thinking, not sure I like "being in a rut"

Hokie said...

dontnoy

Noone likes being in a rut, it is the getting out that we take hope in.

Did you show the girls their pics yet?

Mary said...

When we went sleding we had to drive on an off road. It was basiclly a one way, no passing and icey ruts. The only way I could get home was to stay on the road and drive in the ruts. The girl in front of me slid out of the ruts and got stuck and we had to help her back on the road (back in the rut). Some times we have to climb out or jump the tracks or some other difficult change to get out of the rut. But sometimes we are on the right road and the only way out is to stay in the rut and endure it until it ends.

Hokie said...

Mary

Nice insight, thanks.

Adam said...

As bad as it is to be stuck in a rut, it could be worse. You could be stuck in a butt.

Hokie said...

Adam

Thats just gross, I almost didn't let post it.

KmillS said...

I like the idea of ruts being a bigger thing. That make me feel a little better and gives me a little more hope for myself! Thank you.

colette said...

hmmm... I needed that this morning...actually this week, this month! Thanks. Got me thinking and not enjoying my pity party quite as much.

glad to see you posting!

colette said...

I tagged you....go to my blog and find the questions!