Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The Sun Goes Down at the End of a Day: the finale in the saga of Sand and Sun

I have already mentioned that Sand and Sun have now graduated. These stories started occurring in their freshman year, took place mostly in their Sophomore years then were slowly told by me throughout there junior and senior years and in a crash of stories the summer after they graduated.

While I didn't have the fortune of teaching them in their last two years of high school, I did occasionally see them, usually individually in the halls or something. One day I got to sub for their Spanish class and I got to see them working on a project. They sat willingly together as they worked on their individual projects. Sand teased Sun by taking her colored pencil or something and Sun of course reacted appropriately.

Now I must warn you now, before you read any further, that this is a real life story and not a movie so if you want a happy ending you should stop reading now and pretend that they went to Webster together where, after saving his money for a year and taking a trip to Tiffanie's, he returned and proposed to her. Perhaps the proposal would include a Taco Bell packet asking her to marry him... reminding her of their early days in my class where he once did the same and then they got married and lived happily ever after. If that is the story you want stop now.

Continue if you are prepared to accept the true, nothing like the movies, story.


I don't really know the true emotions of either about the other. I did get to talk to Sun one day where reluctantly admitted to me that Sand (while under a certain influence that she didn't want to admit at school) had professed his undying love to her. I don't know if he was influenced to profess true feelings or simply was continuing to try to annoy her.

A few months after hearing of this incident, at an all school assembly, Sand took the microphone to invite another girl to prom in front of the whole school. I was sad it wasn't Sun, but maybe it would have been had he not made a fool of himself with her on the other occasion, I don't really know.

So here ends the Saga of Sand and Sun as I know it. Nothing glamorous, just another day where the Sun goes down and the Sand is taken over by the waves of the sea.

4 comments:

Mary said...

now I wished I stopped and the movie ending. How sad.

Adam said...

Ahhh... closure. I like the beach metaphor at the end. Very poetic. I'll miss those two.

MAK said...

I like a good love story but I also like realaty. Not a bad ending in my book.

Tina said...

I bet that was an interesting prom. Farewell, Sand & Sun. :)