So today I had a student slow to start his work because he was looking for his pencil. After he finally found it he was excited to get to work, but first asked me an interesting question.
"What is a peninsula? I forgot what it is."
A little exasperated by the postponing of my lesson, as frequently happens because of this student, I responded by asking if he forgot because he believed I taught him or because he knew he had once learned it somewhere else.
He the said it was for two reasons, one because he had once learned it somewhere and forgot and two because he thought it was a cool word that rhymed with pencil.
7 comments:
Nice. I've had students almost that smart in a couple of the intro bio classes I taught. Exasperating, isn't it?
LOL
How do you do it? It's funny to hear but I think that would drive me nuts.
Yes, now that I think about, I often use the words pencil and peninsula when I want my poems to rhyme!
Me too Karen! ...no really you should have heard him say the two words together like he had just discovered some a new poetic treasure.
Pencils are pointy.
So is a peninsula.
Maybe that's enough?!
Like my poem? ;)
Ahh, the teenage brain! To think that some day these kids will be running the world. Scary!
Post a Comment